Recent Gardening Guides from CCG Managers:
- CCGarden Spring Newsletter – Make the most of Sarasota’s long growing season.
- Successful Spring Veggies Guide – What grows best in CCG in the spring?
- Successful Winter Veggies Guide – What grows best in CCG in the winter?
- CCGarden Fall Newsletter – Welcome back to the garden.
- Fall Tomato Guide – Tailored expressly for CCGarden
- Successful Fall Veggies Guide – What grows best in CCG in the Fall?
- Bug & Plant Disease Solutions – All-organic disease and bug control.
- Marcia’s Homemade Pest & Disease Remedies – These work for her.
- Chart of Nutrition Deficiencies – What minerals might be missing from your soil.
- Crop Rotation Chart – An easy to understand schematic.
Extension Pamphlets for Florida Vegetable Gardening:
- Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide – NECESSARY READING – tells you what to plant when!!
- Florida Seasonal Pest chart – Tells which pets eat which veggies when.
- Beneficial Insects I & II – Get to know your friends in the garden!
- Integrated Pest Management WalletCard – Print it, fold it, keep in your wallet for instant advice.
- Organic Gardening, Composting, Beekeeping, etc. – Great reading!
- Power Point on COMPOSTING – More great reading!
- Organic Soil Amendments – Helpful advice.
- Other Extension Printed Resources, A to Z! – View and download scores of IFAS pamphlets.
Get Help from Sarasota’s Master Gardeners:
- Send an email to the Master Gardener’s Help Desk
- Subscribe to The Neighborhood Gardener
- Browse the Sarasota County Extension’s Calendar of Classes – Attend local, mostly free, workshops and courses
Links to helpful gardening sites around the web:
- American Community Gardening Association – Individual membership is $45. Learn, Connect, Take Action as an ACGA member.
- Practical Advice for Attracting Native Pollinator Insects – (from Xerces Society) Find advice on choosing plants that offer nectar and pollen, host plants for caterpillars, and creating nest sites for solitary bees.
- ATTRA’s tool to identify pests and their controls – Organic solutions only – Biorational – very cool!
- Organic Gardening Tips – from Cornell University
- Square Foot Gardening – refreshingly simple ideas
- Raised bed garden ideas – Sunset magazine’s plans and instructions
- Building Your Own Home Garden – a page of helpful weblinks on Alan’s Factory Outlet website, all recommended by a friendly California Junior Girl Scout troop.
Where to buy organic seeds, straw, etc:
- Extensive Directory of LOCAL Farm and Garden Supplies in TransitionSarasota’s Bradenton to Port Charlotte Eat Local Guide
- Stockyard LOCAL source for bales of straw (about $6.50 ea), 1010 Cattleman, bet. Bahia Vista and Palmer Blvd.
- Albritton’s Nursery 4151 Proctor Rd. LOCAL source for organic compost, Neem, and Thuricide.
- Florida Native Plant Nursery a LOCAL source for organic seedlings
- Green Leaf Worm Farm a LOCAL source for nightcrawlers, worm castings, & worm tea
- Johnny’s Selected Seeds hundreds of different organic vegetable seed varieties
- Tomato Growers Supply Co. Ft. Myers – tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, books
- Harris Seeds online source for everything for the garden
- Gardener’s Supply Co. tools, seedstarters, etc.
- Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden Supply sells all sorts of supplies and seeds
- Southern Exposure Seed Exchange ‘Saving the Past for the Future’
- Renee’s Garden heirloom and gourmet vegetable seeds
- Seed Savers collects and distributes rare vegetable seeds
- Hart’s Online Greenhouse sells great variety of heirloom and untreated seeds
Support these vendors who support our community garden:
- Lowe’s on Central Sarasota Parkway – donated our fire extinguisher, pipe fittings, and Trex
- Brilliant Harvest – Bill Johnson & Ariel constructed our solar pumping system
- Oasis Montana – designed our solar pumping system
- Progressive Water Resources – Steve Suau helped us choose the exact location for our garden
- Gorman’s Plumbing Supply – donated PVC pipes and fittings
- Bloomings Landscape and Turf Management – donated PVC pipes and fittings
- TWC Distributors – donated PVC pipes and fittings
- Broedell Plumbing Supply – donated all of our faucets and fittings
- Ardaman Assoc. – donated cement cylinders for our cornerstones
- Dunkelberger Engineering – donated cement cylinders for our cornerstones
- Integrity Tree Service, Inc. (no link) – continues to give us free mulch!
- Dr. Craig Dunn (no link) – continues to give us free horse manure!
- Ruck Brothers Bricks – donated bricks and pavers
- Desrosiers Interlocking Brick Pavers – donated bricks and pavers
- One Stop Direct Marketing – Darlene Nicholson, a CCG member, donated this lovely website
- LADIES JERSEY LONG SLEEVE T-SHIRT 100% lightweight long sleeve cotton tee-shirts from Dharma Trading Co. Item 3588-NATURAL about $11.25 each, including shipping. The cotton is light weight. They are sized a little small, so buy one size larger than your normal size. They are not rated by SPF, but they might suit some people. They will be great in the winter as an underlayer, too. Or, better, click here to buy a shirt with our logo on it.
- FISHING HATS – On Amazon they range from $17-$46. Or shop at Economy Tackle, 6018 S Tamiami Trail, opposite Sarasota Memorial Park. They sell all sorts of sun protective clothing for men and women.